Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hair

I need new shampoo and conditioner. < That sentence will probably be the simplest one in this blog post.
So, my dad passed away four and a half years ago. I was working two jobs - one as a Managing Editor for my school's newspaper (people often discredit this as being a job but trust me...it's a job and it's not easy) and another as a deli...person at a fancy Chicago grocery store/restaurant near Navy Pier. I had to wear a hat. I often used hairspray to keep this hat on my head because it was small and well, stupid.
Shortly after my dad's death, the stress of having two jobs and using too much hairspray, I noticed significant hair loss. I was basically bald in the middle part of my head. I was forced to move my part over. My hair was still falling out, in clumps in the shower. I blamed my shampoo and conditioner. I later blamed blow drying my hair/straightening it/having to wash it every day because it got greasy very quickly.
Eventually, I cut my hair, stopped putting any product in it and noticed less hair loss. After that, I started using more natural shampoos and conditioners. I cut my hair even shorter and really liked it - It's a lot easier to take care of when it's short. After a while, I started styling it again every few days (not every day). I used a volumizer when I blow dried my hair, to add height. While some of my hair has grown back over the past few years, it's not as full as it once was when I was a teenager.
My solution is to continue eating more healthier foods when I can, keep working out, change up my shampoo and conditioner every month or so and continue using the same natural brand of products, and now: To try natural remedies to get some of the hair to come back. Whether it be from hairspray damage, the stress or whatever.
There are a ton of different things out there to try including coconut oil, grapeseed oil, lemon and an egg, rosemary, olive oil and castor oil.
So over the next year, I'm going to try a bunch of different things and just see what happens. Even though I like having my hair short, I'd like to have the option of growing it out and not worry about how thin my hair looks when the length is past my chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment