Friday, June 24, 2011

Father's Day Picnic/Progress at Work

When I was adopted, my mother's friends (who later became closer to us than our actual family) decided to start a tradition of getting together at a Forest Preserve and having pot luck lunch and dinner. Each year, more and more people came. Eventually, my aunt's daughter came up with the idea of renting one of those shelters (just the area where it has benches with cement on the ground and a roof but it's still wide open to the forest preserve). It's nice to know that this is something that started in my family because of me. I don't think too many people are aware of that.
We play a number of different sports and games and we eat. All day. Everyone brings different things. Rice. Beans. Steak. Chicken. Salsa. Potato chips. Hot dogs. Burgers. The works.
It's an all day thing, from early afternoon to early evening. Anyone is welcome to come as long as they bring something besides their mouths to eat all of the food.
I really like my job. I've been working law firms for almost the past two weeks and am nowhere near being finished. I think that I get a lot done in my days here though. The mornings are always difficult but after about an hour of getting into the groove of things with my music or Netflix playing in the background, I start getting things finished quickly.
My two bosses are really nice guys - they haven't criticized me on anything I've done and so far I've only received positive feedback and positive reinforcement which is exactly what I've been looking for in employment for a very long time.
The girl who does the same thing as I do doesn't talk to me. Our desks face opposite directions so it's difficult to make conversation. We usually both end up with our headphones on the majority of the day so we don't even really speak with our bosses. I don't know what the dynamic in an office is like compared to retail or food related jobs but I've always been told to show up early to work. Meanwhile, the girl I work with always takes longer lunch breaks and shows up late in the morning on a regular basis and no one says a word to her. She dresses really nice all of the time and makes me feel inadequate about my t-shirts, jeans and gym shoes.
The thing is that I am not here to make friends. Every time I make friends with the people I work with, it somehow bites me in the ass and this time I'm not even going to make an effort. I do know that she and I are on totally different levels, personality-wise. I don't usually like dressing up or playing with my hair all day because I don't always care enough about what I look like.
So today I wore a dress but only because Ian and I have a dinner date when I'm finished with work for the day. Maybe we'll walk around a bit and go see a movie or something.
I always love going out with him since we don't do it as often as we used to and when I think about it, going out and just getting out of the apartment is what held us together in the beginning. We went out all of the time. That's why we were so happy. Now we are constantly in the apartment or working or buying groceries and that's it. So when we do have a little bit of money to go out on the weekend, I enjoy it thoroughly and I think he does too.
Anyways, I am going to buy some nicer clothes for work. Some skirts, some dresses, some dress pants and the good thing is that I can wear them when I go out. I like being comfortable but I also feel very confident when I put on a nice outfit and take time to decide what I'm going to wear instead of just grabbing anything that's clean from our closet.
Getting up at 7 almost every day isn't as difficult as I thought it would be and I guess it's because I love working here so much. No one yells at me, no one forces me to talk to them, no one makes me cry. No one pretends to be my friend and then talks behind my back. I'm really glad that I have this job and I hope I can keep it for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment