Monday, February 20, 2012

Why I Hate My Birthday

I'm turning 25 on Saturday.
Over the years, my birthday has become more and more disappointing. This means that one of the following things happens:
-I have to do what everyone else wants to do - forget what I had planned or what I wanted to have planned. I have to do what someone else or a group of other people want to do instead because I don't want to be rude and exclaim "heyyyyyyy IT'S MY BIRTHDAY! LET'S DO THIS INSTEAD!"
-I have to be considerate of EVERYBODY ELSE on my birthday - Over the past few years, I have had to share a birthday with my friend Miguel. This year, I told myself "nope. no exceptions." Because last year I made sure I arranged my get together on a day that worked out specifically for Miguel. So on Saturday I will probably have to spend my birthday without Miguel because I chose to think of myself first this time. I'm not too broken up about this and I'm sure he isn't either.
-People don't follow directions when it comes to gift giving - In the past, I have given people very descriptive instructions on gift giving and my point still doesn't get made. I like presents. They're nice and all. But this year, on my birthday, I am unemployed! So I need gift cards and money for our move and for me to be able to buy groceries the next day! And you know...having many birthdays in my life, a lot of people don't listen. I don't NEED a new sweater...and I don't NEED a new towel. I NEED to have money or gift cards ready to buy ant traps (like last year) or cleaning supplies (like last year) or a mop or a tea kettle or cat litter. People don't listen. My mom is especially guilty of not following this rule...she always wastes money and buys me things that I don't want or need.
-There's usually always one person who breaks something/acts ridiculous - When I turned 21, my friends convinced me to have a party at my house in the basement. All of these random ass people came with a particular friend of mine and I let it slide because I was really glad he was there, but then things started getting broken...like a vase that my mother had had for years and years that I think my grandmother or even my great grandmother originally owned. Or a bottle of liquor that once belonged to my dad that he had behind the bar for a really long time..as in ever since we moved into that house over 15 years ago.
-I always end up crying or feeling bad for something that I didn't do on purpose - There have been a few occasions when I have said things (that were not even inappropriate) and then people get on my back about it. Okay...so...you can make racist jokes all day and night, but I can't make one comment about how you drank too much? Alright.
And finally...
-I never get the birthday cake that I want - I actually can't even remember the last time I got the cake that I wanted. Seriously. So this year, I'm turning 25 and my cake is being made by my mother...yet again. Nope. Let's forget about the fact that I asked both my mother and Ian several times to get me a cake from Jewel or some other grocery store. Just a regular old white sheet cake with my baby picture on it. I'm turning 25, let's do something different and funny by having my cake represent me as a small child or an infant. No. Nope. Can't happen. It is now the week of my birthday and my mom's baking a chocolate cake. The fact that something so small, LIKE A BIRTHDAY CAKE, can go wrong every. single. year. is extremely frustrating. I'm fairly certain that my mother has made my birthday cake almost every single year and to be honest, I don't like it. I just do it to make her happy.

I should also note that the closer I get to my birthday, horrible things start happening to me. I.E. - this year, I lost my job! Last year, I was getting yelled at every single week for the smallest, ridiculous things.

I feel like I just keep getting bigger and bigger signs that I do not belong here. Every year, I feel less and less significant to people or at least, less significant to the most important people/person in my life.
What a fucking joke..

No comments:

Post a Comment