Thursday, February 2, 2012

How I lost my job

On Tuesday, about an hour into our work day, our boss came in and talked to Juan and I as our other boss stood by the door not really saying anything.
We got laid off. The company is based on London and the London people told my bosses that the company basically didn't want to spend money on data builders - me and Juan. While my bosses say they did everything they could think of, it's hard for me to imagine this especially since my boss so quickly gave us the shit news and then went back into his office and was making jokes on the phone with potential clients.
Understandably, both of us were completely crushed. Juan has a bit of drama going on with his house and he sadly had to put his dog to sleep later that day so Tuesday was really not the day for him.
Obviously, it wasn't the day for me either. My birthday is next month and we are planning on moving so it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Since Tuesday, I've applied for 12-15 jobs and haven't heard anything from anyone.
To put it plainly, neither of us saw this coming. We packed up our stuff and I was so upset that I left without saying a word to either of my bosses. And while my one boss gave us his fiance's number, who is in charge of an assisted living home and is willing to interview us, that brings me absolutely no comfort. Also, it's just weird.
Since I've been home, Ian has made daily cracks at me not having a job because that's just the type of supportive boyfriend he is.
I feel completely useless and depressed and I apply for pretty much any job I feel I have a chance at. My resume is pretty clean cut and I personalize every single email I send out.
It sucks. I guess today I don't feel as useless because I cleaned up my desk, I swept the living room and dining room and put all of my knitting materials into one area instead of throwing yarn all over my work area.
Ian still wants to move and I support that decision so long as he is understanding of my financial troubles.
I will apply for unemployment next week or the week after. I've been on unemployment before and it's just so sad. I find no comfort in the fact that a few of my friends and family members are also out of work. I'm just sad.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you would benefit from applying with a temp agency. They can place you with a company that has the chance to hire you permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I went on career builder last night and applied through a temp agency and a woman called me this morning so hopefully they will be able to find some work for me!

    ReplyDelete