Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 8

Day eight: Short term goals for this month and why.

  • Continue doing well at work (short term and long term I suppose) - because I want to keep this job for a very, very, very, very long time.
  • Continue making time for Miguel - because he's my best friend and I do love him.
  • Stop taking Ian for granted and stop thinking so many bad things just because there are a few bad days - because otherwise I will lose him to someone else or he will just finally reach his breaking point with me and decide he's better off alone. I do love you more than anything and I know that you love me just as much, if not more.
  • Visit Lety - she's my cousin and she's pretty much the only family member I have that I can REALLY talk to. She's never judged me and she's really easy to get along with. I always confided in her as a teenager and I find myself talking to her about my family and getting move in/relationship advice from her.
  • Finish my Roseanne/The Nanny youtube marathon - I can do it. I've done it before. Currently on Season 3 of Roseanne but I just started watching Full House today so I may drop The Nanny for that show. They're all cheesy and stupid but so am I.
  • Visit a few of these hot dog places that Ian and I both want to go to - because while I had no income and no job, we both sent each other links to food places and now I finally have the money to take him to them.
  • Speaking of food - Start writing about food in my...food blog - because that's why I made this stupid thing anyways. So here goes:

1610 W. Belmont Ave.
Chicago, IL.

I've never REALLY had sushi before. Occasionally, my mother would bring home terrible sushi from Jewel and I'd usually spit it out. One time, my friend made sushi from home and made me try it and I liked it...but this place took me for a big surprise. If you live in Chicago, you may be familiar with a huge intersection at Belmont, Ashland and Lincoln? (I think..) There is a small corridor with a big yellow sign that says "House of Sushi and Noodles." Upon entering, the restaurant honestly looks like a piece of crap if you're not into that 'home-y' feeling that many old school restaurants still share today. It smells weird too. It may be mold, it may be the fish. It might just be some of the douche bags that venture into the restaurant itself who MAY have spent the entire day drinking or at a Cubs game and decided "I want to go to the sushi buffet at House of sushi and noodles."
But when taken to our table, I found that the restaurant went very far back and the owners have found a way to mix their old school Japanese decor with new school interior decorating. The food was just....amazing. We got a number of different rolls and decided to go with the buffet. It's $15.95, you have to order two different types of rolls and you have to finish everything off of your plate before you leave or else they charge you (supposedly). I went on yelp and apparently, this doesn't sit well with a lot of people. It might be my connection to the Asian stingy culture or just the fact that I respect all restaurant establishments but I didn't think this was a big deal. Seriously. You are getting some mind blowing sushi, all you can eat, high quality and good service for the low price of $15.95. Don't complain.
Among the two or three rounds of buffet that Ian and I went through we ordered the following rolls:
Chicago Crazy Maki - Tuna, yellow tail, salmon, crab with lettuce, masago, cucumber. Wasn't too fond of this one but it was one of the first times I've ever had RAW fish so I'm willing to give it another shot. I will admit that the fish was VERY fresh, very easy to chew, not too strong of an odor or flavor.
Spider Maki - Soft shell crab tempura with avocado, cucumber, masago and mayo. I did enjoy this one a lot. I've never had soft shell crab before and if you haven't either, I STRONGLY recommend it. The flavor of the soft shell crab with the different veggies is something I can't really describe.
Godzilla Maki - Shrimp tempura, cream cheese (it's not as odd as it sounds), avocado, green onion, masago with spicy sauce, crunch batter. Basically, the shrimp tempura is the best thing ever invented. I don't know what it is about having it wrap around the sea weed, but it really just makes you feel like you are eating fried healthy food (if that makes ANY sense). It's the best of both worlds - you can eat something that's breaded and juicy and deliciously healthy all at the same time. I didn't care for the spicy sauce but that's because I can't handle anything spicy unless hot cheetos are involved.
Florida Maki - Smoked salmon, crab, masago, crunch batter, avocado and cucumber. This was the final roll that I ordered and I couldn't finish it because I was so full and I'll explain why in the next paragraph but let me tell you something, the combination of the smoked salmon, crab and masago was like this sweet explosion in your mouth (gross). I loved it but not as much as I loved...
Miami Maki - Deep fried with tempura batter, shrimp, crab, cream cheese, cucumber and masago. Okay........I liked this one so much that I ordered it twice so I practically ate like 8 to 10 pieces of it within an hour. This maki fucking (excuse my language) rocked my face, as I said that night. Each time I ate it, and Ian will attest to this, I banged my fist on the table because it was just so amazing. I loved the tempura batter. I probably would've really enjoyed the Godzilla Maki if the spicy stuff wasn't in it (it wasn't even that spicy, I just don't like the stuff) because they were very similar in taste. The Florida Maki was interesting because of the smoked salmon but the Miami Maki is THE perfect sushi.
I definitely plan on going back again and I think Ian wants to go there for his birthday, which is at the end of this month. I'm really glad that I found the place and that we were finally able to go.
Our anniversary is on Friday, the 6th. Official one year anniversary. He has stuff planned, I don't know what but I'm leaving it in his hands and I'm excited about whatever he's gonna do because neither of us really likes planning things or deciding on what to do. On a lighter note, I'm kind of sick. My body does feel off but earlier I was a complete wreck. Temperature of 101.2, I vomited - which I haven't done in a long time at least not the way I did tonight. I know that that's gross but it's a blog. Give me a break. I stayed in bed the majority of the day, fell asleep for two hours. I'm going to have more soup before I go to bed and might even take a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment