Sunday, December 4, 2011

a healthy debate

I've always enjoyed a healthy debate with someone, especially if I actually know what I'm talking about. I've found myself basically arguing with a mutual friend of my friend Jessica (who I have not seen since high school but talk to pretty frequently on facebook) about the Casey Anthony trial. I didn't follow this trial from the beginning - like so many others, I saw the interviews with the lawyers and the parents on various news channels and read articles online. I was devastated for this child and the grandparents. I can't imagine what it's like to not know where your grandchild is for a month (if this is true) and then people find her decomposed body in the woods. I know that something like that would break me into pieces. How these people were able to keep going with their lives and get up every morning...I'll never know.
Anyways, Jessica's friend, who I also went to high school with but never talked to, commented on a link that she posted and he basically told her how to feel. Not to be mad. What good does it do. Etc. Etc.
I hate it when people do shit like this. Just respect how the other person feels. You may not agree but you don't have to tell them how they should feel about something like this. It was difficult for me not to respond to such an asinine comment as this:
"To be sincere, there is a lot of people who shouldnt be walking down the street, but she is free, let it go. Talking about it only adds aggravation. We got more things to worry about than this."
...What?
To which I responded with: "We shouldn't worry about a woman who probably killed her child and is out roaming the streets? Okay."
Other people who commented on the post, including my friend who posted it ended up liking the comment. Then he decided to say this:
"Yeah theres absolutely nothing anyone can do. The law is the law. How many hundreds of murderers, rapists, etc are out there walking among us ? We need to worry more about ourselves because then we will always be in fear and perhaps inadvertently cause something bad to happen."
His comment really pissed me off. I don't know what's wrong with him, if he's just stupid or what but I ended up writing a novel back to him because I was so annoyed/flabbergasted that he basically said "let's not worry about things like this."
My reply: "We need to worry more about ourselves??? I'm not in fear of the people walking the streets who have murdered others/their babies. I just want justice. What happens if this woman has another child? And then it "goes missing" too? Are we just supposed to say "Oh...well...I just need to worry about me right now." I know that there are hundreds of bad people like her out there and she REPRESENTS a portion of those people, that's why there's nothing wrong with being upset that this woman killed her daughter and then let her body rot in the woods or wherever.
It's true that there are things in this world that we cannot control, but to basically say "we need to be selfish and only think about us" is just plain...stupid. sorry, but it's the truth. People have every right to be hurt or upset that a woman got away with murdering her baby just like people have every right to be upset about someone getting the death sentence when they're innocent. I think that not talking about things like this and NOT facing them is what causes people to live in fear because they're too afraid to discuss them and have healthy conversations about it. This is what's happening in the world. Why avoid it?"
Like I said, I love a healthy debate. I hate arguing with stupid people though. I'm just waiting till he says something just as stupid because he's living in the land of ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment