Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 29/Holidays

Day 29: In the past month, what have you learned?

I've learned how to clean a tub full of dog hair in five minutes and I've also learned that working 9 hour days results in a 9 hour work out...which then results in me losing weight.
I have learned that as much as I care about my mother, I'm ready to leave but I'm terrified at how she's going to react and what she's going to say to my family after I break the news.
...I think that's about it. There are plenty of other things I've learned throughout the year but not much has happened in the past month.


Since Thanksgiving is coming up in a couple of months, I have to start figuring out what to do. I know that eventually I will have to compromise with Ian and either spend a holiday alone, be with him and his mom or make him and his mom come to one of my relative's homes. I'm so used to always being with my family on holidays that it would feel really weird to...not be there and I think more than anything, I'm worried about how my mom will react and how my family will treat me if I don't show up for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I've missed a couple of family events and dinners this year mostly to spare Ian from the nonsense and I can always tell that my family is just kind of like "where were YOU last time???" when they see or talk to me. I guess this is one of the things that all people in long-term relationships have had to go through. I know that my married cousins have gotten into actual arguments with their spouses because they were also used to being with the family and going to the in-laws was just different. I'll figure it out. If I could have it my way, I would invite Ian and his mom to all of my family's dinners but I don't want his mom to feel like she isn't allowed to be there or that she can't be herself...which is also something I worried about with Ian at first but he seems to be adjusting to all of the children and the different attitudes that my family has.

No comments:

Post a Comment