Thursday, July 7, 2011

My mom's wedding

My mother met a man in January and they hit it off right from the start. He's basically been living in our home since I moved out and I know that he would come and stay at the house on the days that I went to stay at Ian's apartment.
He's officially living at the house now and proposed to her a couple of weeks back. On Saturday, they're going to look at rings.
My mom's original plan was to travel over to Las Vegas and just get it done quickly and spend the week there. When she told my family about it, a bunch of them wanted to attend. So the conversation turned into this big thing where she was talking about having to rent a bus and blah blah blah and I just remember telling her, "that's expensive and I don't think you're really thinking about this."
Turns out I was right. Last night when we were talking on the phone, she told me that she was trying to figure out all of the pricing and said that it was just way too expensive and she decided to have a ceremony and an after party here in Chicago at a hall.
My mom has made me Maid of Honor...I don't know...what I'm supposed to do but I told her that I will help her pick out invitation designs, make the seating chart, help pick out the foods she wants, and most importantly (I'm really excited about this) decorating the hall.
I know that I have a lot of responsibilities and I also know that she's probably going to make me make a speech.
The wedding is in late April so I'm really nervous but excited for her.
I told my friend Juan that it will be really good training for me for whenever I have to plan my own wedding.
I'm happy for her but I miss my dad. I can only hope that wherever he is, he's looking down on her, smiling and happy that she has found someone who loves her as much as he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment