Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving was very nice. Ian, his mom Colleen and I went over to my mother's house for dinner. She cooked so much food that it barely all fit on the table. She made cauliflower with breadcrumbs on top (she's been doing this for years and I love it. I won't eat cauliflower any other way. She also does this with egg noodles - something my great grandmother used to do), she made carrots, she made mashed potatoes, gravy, got raspberry/cranberry sauce - which was actually pretty good, she made this green bean casserole that I think she made last year but I didn't get a lot of it because we had a whole bunch of people over (glad she gave me two big spoonfuls of it to take home to eat this week), rolls, stuffing, and of course the turkey.
This year, my mom and Julio (her fiancee) got a fresh turkey from this place called Paulina Meat Market. It tasted pretty different, not as dry and didn't seem like it was as difficult to pull the meat off of the bones when I was watching my mom plate it.
The only difficult part was when I actually tried having a conversation with my mother. I am often reminded that I can never really rely on her, that she sees me as an adult who was once her child but no longer needs her...but then she'll say shit to me like "you'll always be my baby, no matter what." Okay, then why is it so difficult for you to be a mom?
My mom has a Nintendo DS that is just sitting in her dresser - I have played it more times than she has. So I asked if I could have it or buy it from her for $50 (this is the second version of the DS so it's really not worth much money) and she immediately started shaking her head no. I then had to explain that they have come out with at least two or three newer versions of the DS and that the DS lite was about $70 at a video game store so she was getting a good deal with me paying $50 for it. Then she said "you can buy it for $100." -_- and then said that she would give me the games she has for it (which the majority of are really shitty and I would probably just end up selling them since I have no interest in playing them) and I just ended up not talking to her about it anymore. Then she goes "you could pay me in installments." Like we were doing some kind of business deal instead of just saying "you know, you can have it. I don't use it. At all." It seriously pisses me off. She is the most money hungry person I've ever met and she is probably the reason why it's very difficult for me to save because through the majority of my adolescence and adulthood, my mother has given me very little. Any time I asked for reasonable things like...paying for my COMMUNITY COLLEGE education, it would turn into this huge disagreement.
I often find that there is only a certain amount of time that I can spend with my mother and I'm thankful that I'm able to leave the house when I want to and not have to listen to any of her bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment